I keep a hand written journal and try to write at least three pages a day, each morning before I go to work. This week I started a brand new notebook, and I really like it so far. It has a black hard cover, and a red ribbon place marker, and inside there are maps of the U.S. and the world, and also there are subway maps for major cities like Chicago and New York. It also has several calendars, but they will soon expire. I chose this journal over the spiral notebook type (like the last one was) just for the maps! I figure the cost is the same, but if I can look at maps every now and then, they might inspire me somehow.
This morning as I was writing in my journal I had this feeling that I wanted to work on my writing. I mean my real writing. I read both my papers in both classes last night, and afterward could see everything that was wrong with both of them and wished I'd spent more time. That's always how it is. There was another student who read her paper after mine, and hers was much better, I thought, since her character was written with such rich emotions. I seem to have trouble expressing emotions in my writing and I tend to joke around to avoid dealing with feelings.
I think I have filled 6 or 7 notebooks now, since May 2008. That was when I started journaling again; when things were especially tough. I love journaling but now I need to work on writing.
No comments:
Post a Comment