Saturday, July 17, 2010

July Poetry Marathon

My friend Heather is hosting a poetry marathon this month.  Each day she posts a new theme and uses a different poetry form for poets to experiment.  I've only done a few this month, but I thought I'd post them here:


My simple, Double Ethere. Each line has an additional syllable, from 1 - 10, and then you reverse it from 10 - 1 as you complete the poem. I kind of went dark and psycho a bit on this one... Trying to catch up in the marathon!


Things We Say

If
you like
we can try
discussing this
calmly and without
any drama and then
I'll make you a nice cup of
tea and we'll go over it one
more time. Would you like cream and sugar? There.
I knew you'd soon come to see things my way.
Now what was it you wanted to say?
Let me refresh your memory.
We were discussing last night -
that's right. Remember now?
Do you still love her?
I forgive you -
It's ok.
You need
me.






~cmw
7/17/10
After the Storm

Wet leaves
red and yellow
torn by wind from the tree
as you walk by you remember
last night



~cmw
07/17/10
This is an experiment to keep to the sestina form - I tried doing it in Iambic pentameter as well, since I read that English sestinas are written in iambic. So, it's a first draft and an experiment, but...it was fun. I learned that it is important to chose the first 6 words you use at the end of your first 6 lines carefully since you will be repeating them throughout the poem. Mine were: house, floors, throughout, doors, walls, and pain. Ugh. Not easy to work with those words! For the rules on the form, see Heather Fowler's page or her comments on my wall.

Baptism


1 I had a dream about an empty house
2 maze-like, sterile; white walls on all floors.
3 paintings hung in perfect rows throughout;
4 spaces in between them and the doors
5 created patterns, shadows on the walls
6 reflecting light and dark and love and pain.

6 The host was elegant, betrayed no pain
1 proudly taking guests throughout the house
5 smiling as he walked, caressed the walls
2 and spoke about the art on all three floors
4 I wandered by myself between the doors
3 admiring art’s opulence throughout

3 Several guests meandering throughout
6 oblivious to any signs of pain
4 hidden in the canvas, behind doors,
1 laughed so carelessly in this man’s house -
2 their footsteps echoed loud upon wood floors
5 and fingerprints smudged black the whitest walls.

5 Not only were the paintings on the walls
3 expressionist and modernist throughout
2 Several, as I said, on all three floors -
6 they somehow soothed, an antidote to pain
1 the only colors brightening the house
4 yet ravens seemed to lurk behind the doors

4 but suddenly came bursting through the doors
5 young people, thundering, the weakest walls
1 and running, dancing, skipping through the house
3 sang songs of sacrament and joy throughout
6 so any creature crippled in his pain
2 felt light, for angels crossed these wretched floors

2 and even as the angels swept the floors
4 ravens sulked quietly ‘hind doors
6 the host, forever shackled to his pain
5 was graced with heaven scattered ‘cross the walls
3 inseparable from paint and light throughout
1 the joyous art was spread throughout the house

6, 2 so if a pain seeps in beneath the floors
1, 4 within your house, look well behind the doors
5, 3 and on your walls do keep fine art throughout

No comments:

Post a Comment