I've now completed 30 days of consecutive writing. That is, I've posted 30 "small stones" during the month of January. I have to say the experience was great. I can't say my prose-poetry improved by the end; it actually seemed to get longer! It reminds me of a drawing class I once took, in which our first assignment was to do a self-portrait. My first one barely took up a small corner of the drawing paper. It was scrunched up and tight, protected and withdrawn. By the end, I'm not sure if my skill at capturing my own image had improved, but I had somehow managed to spread myself out across the entirety of the page, filling it up.
So, tomorrow marks the end of the writing a 'small stone-a-day" in January challenge. I have managed the challenge and learned that the more I practice, the more I trust myself and what I have to say. Whereas I used to worry that what I wrote would be 'not good enough' or 'wrong', now I know that the best thing to do is just get something down; get it out there on the page. You can always edit later. Such an easy concept, and we all know it, right?

No comments:
Post a Comment